Monday, February 12

Blood Orange Curd


If you were to ask me right now which fruit was my favourite I would definitely have to answer the blood orange. Blood oranges are here for a very short time so I feel like you have to take the most out of these tangy citrus fruits filled with a divine ruby red pulp during this short season. I can't help but be in love with the colour of the juice. Also it's really exciting every time you cut into one to see the colour or pattern revealed inside the thick orange skin. The flesh itself varies from a reddish orange to a deep, almost wine red and when mixed together to a juice to become a more coral red.
The colour just gets better when adding something pale to it such as cream, milk, butter or eggs. This I have to say is one of my favourite moments when the tone changes to a vibrant peach or a flamingo pink.
This year the first thing I made out of this exquisite fruit was a blood orange curd. I don't really like the word curd as it somehow doesn't sound very appealing, but I guess that's just the name of it :D nor am I usually a big fan of curds in general (store bought) as they tend to be too sweet and I just don't know what to do with them. However this curd is just so refreshing at the same time even if it's sweet. It's perfect to put inside as a cake filling, on top of donuts, swirled in with ice creams or even just spread on top of a piece of toast.
Even if I'm not such a big fan of sweet things the colour of this is just so amazing that you will just want to make a small batch yourself :)



How to make Blood Orange Curd

2 dl blood orange juice (2 oranges)
zest from 2 oranges
1 dl sugar
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
70g butter

Wash the oranges clean. With a zester, scrape the zest from both oranges and press the juice into a saucepan.  Reduce the juice to approximately half. Let it cool for 30 mins.
 In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until white and fluffy. Add the pinch of salt.
Pour the reduced juice into the egg mixture and whisk. Place the bowl over a bain marie and heat until the mixture starts to thicken. Remember to stir constantly not to end up with scrambled eggs. Add the cold butter nobs one at a time and stir.
Pour into a clean glass jar and store in the fridge.


Later on you will also find out where I ended up putting this pastel spread of delight.



No comments:

Post a Comment